Civil Partnership: Step by Step

Follow our step-by-step guide to forming a civil partnership in Cambridgeshire. 

1. Legal Requirements
2. Where do you want to have your formation? 


You must decide where to have your formation before ‘giving notice’.

To give notice, you’ll sign a legal statement at your local register office saying you intend to form a civil partnership. This must include details of the final venue for your formation.

You must make your formation within 12 months of ‘giving notice’.

Choose the type of formation

You can choose to have either a religious formation or a civil formation:

Civil formation

You can have a civil formation at:


  • A Council Ceremony Office.  We offer The Brooke Room (Cambridge), The Keats Room (Huntingdon), The Tennyson Room (Ely) or The Wordsworth Room (March) on selected days from Monday to Saturday.  Details can be found on our Ceremony Rooms page.

  • A venue approved by the local council, for example a stately home or hotel.  A list of approved venues for ceremonies in Cambridgeshire can be found on our Venues page.  We recommend that, before you pay a deposit to the venue you book your formation with us to ensure that your preferred date and time are available.

  • Statutory ceremony in a Registration Room.  Only the couple and two witnesses can attend. These ceremonies take place in Cambridge on a Tuesday at 9.30am and 10.00am. There is currently a waiting list of at least 10 months.

Religious ceremonies

A religious formation can take place at any religious building registered for formations.

Your minister will tell you if you need to book a registrar to attend.  If you are advised that a registrar will be required please contact us as soon as possible.  You will both need to complete the legal preliminaries by giving notice of intention to form a civil partnership at a registration office,  Please contact us using our general enquiry form for advice about giving notice.


Forming a civil partnership outside Cambridgeshire


If you live in Cambridgeshire and intend to form a civil partnership outside of the County (but still within England or Wales) you can book your civil partnership notice online by clicking here.


Ceremonies abroad

If you’re a British national forming a civil partnership abroad (this includes Scotland and Northern Ireland), you might need certain documents from the UK government, for example a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI).

Click here to find out how to get the documents you’ll need.

Once you've established that you are required to produce a Certificate of No Impediment you can book your civil partnership notice online.  UPDATE: 25/03/2020. We regret that notice booking has been suspended.


3. Giving notice to form a civil partnership
4. Documents you'll need to give notice
5. Plan your day

© 2020 Cambridgeshire Registration Service

  • Facebook - Black Circle
  • Twitter - Black Circle
  • Pinterest - Black Circle
  • Instagram - Black Circle