Marriage: Step by Step


Follow our step-by-step guide to getting married in Cambridgeshire.  For more general information about marriage please take a look at information on GOV.UK here

1. Book your Ceremony


You can only book online if you intend to hold your ceremony from Thursday, November 4, 2021

If you intend to have your ceremony in an Approved Venue you must have discussed dates and times with them before booking our services

2. Book Your Notices of Marriage

Notice of Marriage is a legal requirement where you book an appointment to see a registrar with documents to prove your identity. This must be done at least 1 month before your ceremony but can be up to 12 months ahead.  We would recommend that you give notice within 4 months of your ceremony

Click here to find out how to book your notice(s) and the documents you'll need to bring to your appointment(s)

3. Plan Your Day

Find out how to personalise your ceremony.

Click here if you are marrying in a Ceremony Room

Click here if you are marrying in an Approved Venue

4. Your Certificates

New marriage legislation means that the way a marriage is registered in England changed from 4 May 2021

The change in the law means that the details of your marriage are recorded on a marriage ‘schedule’ or in some cases ‘document’, signed by you, your witnesses and the officiant. 
Details from your marriage 'schedule' or 'document' will be entered on the electronic register within 7 days of your schedule or document being received at the register office, in the area where you got married.  In the case of religious ceremonies, it may take up to 21 days for your paperwork to be received at our offices
A marriage certificate can only be issued after the details have been entered on to the electronic register. This means that you will not be able to obtain a marriage certificate on the day of your marriage. This applies whether you marry in a civil ceremony or a religious ceremony

If you have paid for certificates already we will post them to you shortly thereafter

If you have not paid for certificates then they will be available for order when they have been added to our electronic index system Camdex