1.  EU - European Union

The EU countries are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

2.  EEA - European Economic Area 


The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU’s single market.

Switzerland is not an EU or EEA member but is part of the single market. This means Swiss nationals have the same rights as other EEA nationals.

3.  Immigration Control

You are a person subject to immigration control if you are:

  • not an EEA National

  • an EU, EEA National or Swiss citizen who has not applied for or been granted settled or pre-settled status

  • you came to the UK after 31 December 2020 and you fall into one of the following categories:

  • You need leave to enter or remain in the UK but do not have it. For example, you are an asylum seeker with temporary admission; or you have overstayed your leave to enter or remain.

  • You have leave to enter or remain in the UK on condition that you have no recourse to public funds.

  • You have leave to enter or remain in the UK as a result of someone providing a maintenance undertaking.

4.  Right of abode

Having right of abode means you’re allowed to live or work in the UK without any immigration restrictions, which means:

  • you will not need a visa to come to the UK

  • there’s no limit on the length of time you can spend in the country

  • All British citizens automatically have right of abode in the UK.

  • Some Commonwealth citizens may also have right of abode.

  • You can prove you have right of abode if you have a UK passport describing you as a British citizen or British subject with right of abode.

5. Indefinite Leave to Remain

Indefinite Leave to Remain is an immigration status which allows the person who holds it to live and work in the UK for an unlimited time, without any need to apply for a visa extension. If you are granted Indefinite Leave to Remain, you are able to leave and re-enter the UK without any immigration restrictions.

6.  Pre-settled status

This status grants limited leave to remain in the UK for five years. With pre-settled status you can continue to live, work and study in the UK after 30 June 2021.

7.  Settled Status

This status grants freedom from immigration control. To apply for it, you will need to have lived in the UK continuously and lawfully for a specified duration of time, normally for 5 years or 10 years depending on your status. 

8.  Statutory Declaration

A statutory declaration is legal proof that you have undertaken a name change.  It must be witnessed by a solicitor or a Justice of the Peace and be signed by you using your new name.