Civil partnership: Step by Step

Follow our step-by-step guide to forming a civil partnershp in Cambridgeshire. 

1. Legal Requirements
2. Where do you want to have your formation? 
3. Giving notice to form a civil partnershp


You must sign a legal statement at your local register office to say you intend to form a civil partnership. This is known as ‘giving notice’.

  • You must decide where to make your formation before ‘giving notice’.

  • You must give notice at least 29 days before your formation.  For example, if you give notice on 1 May, the earliest date you can form your civil partnership is 30 May.

  • You must make your formation within 12 months of the date of ‘giving notice’.

Where to give notice

If you are both British or EEA Nationals and both live in Cambridgeshire you need to make an appointment to give notice at one of our offices. You and your partner MUST both have lived in Cambridgeshire for the past 7 CLEAR days immediately prior to your appointment. 


Please Note: The date of your arrival and the date of your departure are not included in the calculation of your 7 clear days' notice.  i.e. If you arrive on Day One you will not be able to give notice until Day Nine of your residence.

You and your partner will need to give notice separately if you live in different registration districts. You do not have to do this on the same day.

If you live or your partner live outside Cambridgeshire


You need to book your notice of marriage appointment with your local register office. If you live outside England and Wales, contact us using our general enquiry form for advice about giving notice.


If you or your partner is from outside the EU, EEA or from Switzerland

You need to give notice together at a designated register office, even if you live in different districts. The immigration authorities at the Home Office will be told. If this happens you may need to wait up to 70 days before getting married.


If you wish to book a notice of marriage at our designated register office (Cambridge), please complete the general enquiry form. You may find an appointment faster at another designated register office.

You must decide where to have your marriage before ‘giving notice’.

4. Documents you'll need to give notice
5. Plan your day

© 2020 Cambridgeshire Registration Service

  • Facebook - Black Circle
  • Twitter - Black Circle
  • Pinterest - Black Circle
  • Instagram - Black Circle