Marriage and civil partnership


Marriage, according to the law of this country, is the union of two people of the same or opposite sex, voluntarily entered into for life, to the exclusion of all others. It is made by a verbal contract between two people.

A civil partnership is a written contract, with or without a ceremony, and currently can only be formed between two people of the same sex. 

​The Civil Partnerships, Marriages and Deaths (Registration Etc.) Act received Royal Assent on 26 March 2019 .


Civil partnerships for opposite sex couples are not currently available and until an implementation date has been agreed we are unable to take any bookings.

Further information can be obtained from the Government Equalities Office

We offer non-religious ceremonies. A civil marriage or civil partnership can be contracted at any council ceremony room or venue approved by the local authority in England or Wales. You can book up to two years ahead. We do not accept bookings made by third parties.


Approved venue ceremonies

A list of approved venues for ceremonies in Cambridgeshire can be found on our venues page.  Ceremonies are available every day and conducted on the hour. We recommend that, before you pay a deposit to the venue, you book your ceremony with us to ensure that your preferred date and time are available.


Council ceremony in a Registration Office

You can have a ceremony in a council ceremony room, The Brooke Room (Cambridge), The Keats Room (Huntingdon), The Tennyson Room (Ely) or The Wordsworth Room (March) within our offices Monday to Saturday.  




Statutory ceremonies

A Statutory Ceremony takes place in a Registration room. Only the couple and two witnesses can attend. These ceremonies take place in Cambridge on a Tuesday at 9.30am and 10.00am. There is currently a waiting list of up to 4 months. 


Next steps

For more detailed information on legal preliminaries for a marriage or civil partnership, please look at the legal requirements page.

  1. Please ensure you have read all the information on this page or our ceremony brochure, which gives you information on the legal requirements and our services.

  2. Ceremonies required within the next 3 months cannot be booked online.  If you need an ceremony within this time, please phone 0345 045 1363 and  select ceremonies option.  Please leave a message if the call is not answered and we will reply within 3 days.

  3. You can book your ceremony if you are both legally free to marry or enter into a civil partnership and are both EEA nationals.  Any divorce MUST already be finalised and you must have a copy of the decree absolute. 

  4. After you have booked your ceremony you will receive a confirmation email informing you of the date by which you need to give notice.  This is usually one month after your booking or eleven months prior to your ceremony. Any changes to the date or time of your ceremony will incur an amendment fee. 

  5. After registering and booking your ceremony you will have the opportunity to book your notice of marriage from within your account.  If you live outside Cambridgeshire, you need to book your notice appointment with your local register office. If you live outside England and Wales, contact us using our general enquiry form for advice about giving notice.



Religious ceremonies

For a marriage in the Church of England or the Church in Wales, contact the vicar of the church and make your arrangements.  


For any other church ceremony, your minister will tell you if you need to book a registrar to attend.  If you are advised that a registrar will be required please contact us as soon as possible.  You will both need to complete the legal preliminaries by giving notice of intention to marry before your marriage, 


Ceremonies abroad

If you are British and marrying abroad you may be told to provide a Certificate of No Impediment.  This can be obtained by giving notice in the registration office in the district in which you live.  Please contact us using our general enquiry form for advice about giving notice.


Useful information


You can have animals or birds on the premises at an Approved Venue. However, they must not be in the room when you and your partner's details are being checked; or in the ceremony room itself or the outdoor spaces in the immediate vicinity of the ceremony room until after we have left.


Formally registered assistance animals are fine - for example guide dogs and hearing dogs - but please make us aware before the date of the ceremony.


Change of name on passports

Change of name on passports can be applied for up to 12 months before the ceremony using the PD2 form, and incurs an admin fee of £35. Further information is available from


If you are giving notice in Cambridgeshire, please take the completed form to your notice appointment where it will be finalised for you at the end of the appointment and the fee taken.


If you have already given notice, or are giving notice outside Cambridgeshire, send your completed form to The Ceremonies Team, Huntingdon Library & Registration Service, Princes Street, Huntingdon PE29 3PA and include your telephone number so that we can phone you between 9am-4 pm to take payment.  If you do not enclose an SAE you will be charged postage. Please note we cannot deal with your application immediately if delivered in person. Your amended passport will not be issued until three months before the ceremony.



Conversion of civil partnership to marriage

If you wish to convert your civil partnership to a marriage or have any other enquiry, please complete our general enquiry form and we will contact you within 3 working days.


© 2019 Cambridgeshire Registration Service

  • Facebook - Black Circle
  • Twitter - Black Circle
  • Pinterest - Black Circle
  • Instagram - Black Circle