Civil Partnership: Step by Step

Follow our step-by-step guide to getting forming a civil partnership in Cambridgeshire. 

1. Legal Requirements


You can form a civil partnership in England or Wales if you’re:

  • 16 or over

  • not already married or in a civil partnership

  • not closely related


If you’re under 18

You need permission from your parents or guardians to form a civil partnership in England or Wales.

If you or your partner is a foreign national

There will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens currently living in the UK until 30 June 2021, or 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal. You and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK.

You must apply for a visa to form a civil partnership in the UK if you:


  • are from outside the EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland

  • are not a British citizen

  • do not have indefinite leave to remain in the UK


The visa or permit you need depends on where your partner is from and whether you want to live in the UK after your formation.
You can apply for:


  • a civil partnership visitor visa - if you’re not going to live in the UK and will stay less than 6 months

  • a family visa - if you want to live permanently in the UK and your partner is a British citizen, settled in the UK, has refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK

  • a family permit - if your partner is not a British citizen but from an EU, EEA country or Switzerland

If you do not have a civil partnership visitor visa or family visa

You can still give notice of your intention to get married or form a civil partnership but the immigration authorities at the Home Office will be told.

The Home Office might:


  • ask questions about you and your relationship - if this happens you may need to wait up to 70 days before forming a civil partnership

  • decide not to approve your notice - if this happens you cannot form a civil partnership in the UK

2. Where do you want to have your formation? 
3. Giving notice to form a civil partnership
4. Documents you'll need to give notice
5. Plan your day

© 2020 Cambridgeshire Registration Service

  • Facebook - Black Circle
  • Twitter - Black Circle
  • Pinterest - Black Circle
  • Instagram - Black Circle